Wednesday 3 April 2013

The Familiar

So recently my Dell laptop, which i had been using for roughly four years, decided to abandon me and take all of my files etc with it. Four years of things i had built on this piece of technology all vanished into thin air. (Except photos because I've been smart enough to back them up onto a hard drive religiously)
My Dell now sits under my desk in shame

I'm not prepared to write about how we don't know what we have until its gone and how technology is slowly failing me. Instead let me just have a blabber;
My laptop is dead, no files and not working. So i have moved back to my used-to-be-virus-ridden old laptop, which thankfully i still have lying around. Typing this on a desk I've come back to the annoying use of one of the rubber parts that holds the laptop steady is gone, giving it an undesirable wobble, its a hell of a lot chunkier and the fan is loud and struggling. Yet i find myself getting used to the old clunky keys as if they had never left my fingertips. How strange.
Hello Old friend!

Coming back to this laptop also surprised me when the desktop background popped up, showing a variety of old times. Despite being completely different from the background i had on my other laptop (more photography picturesque) i remembered the background AND i remembered all of the memories it was filled with, even though they ranged from five to six years ago.
It is indeed the little things
The phrase "It's the little things" is scrawled across it, in a font i weirdly recognised (it's the font i now use at the end of my YouTube videos). Now my fourteen year old self may not have been so wise to come up with that phrase on my own (by now its so well known who would?) but it has surprised me about my past self. I tend to still try and look at the little things in life, yet lately i had been forgetting all about them in my state of trying to look at the bigger picture. Which is obviously an important aspect as well; but i had constantly been overwhelming myself with thoughts of school deadlines, leading to exams and grades leading to university and life and everything big and scary and... overwhelming.
It's nice to take a step back and focus on the little things, which i will be especially capable of doing during the summer months since i can abandon all work and school knowledge.

Who knew this clunky abomination compared to the new age of laptops would be getting me through the next few months until i move onto my third replacement for university. We are constantly moving forward with technology in this age and although its good (i'm all for the quirky gadgets) sometimes the old and the familiar and the not so up to date can just save us(me) from being laptopless for months. Which lets face it, would suck completely. Because we may be moving forward and i may need something with more memory and backing storage but the new may not be as faithful as the old. Disappointingly.




.

No comments:

Post a Comment